How to Pay for College

At Saint Paul College, we offer many financial resources to help bridge the gap between the cost of your education and what you can afford to pay. Scholarships and grants typically do not need to be paid back. Student loans do require repayment. Each has its own set of qualifications.

understanding COST & AID

Where should I begin?

The first step for most financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Saint Paul College School Code: 005533

If you have questions or need help completing the FAFSA, go to the One Stop, Room 1300, email , or call 651.846.1555.



Graduate on time and debt-free with Saint Paul College’s COMPASS Program. Designed for recent high school graduates and Pell Grant recipients, our program offers financial assistance to cover tuition, fees, textbooks, transportation, and basic needs.


Different ways to receive aid.

Federal and State Grants

To find out if you are eligible for government grants, you will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Saint Paul College School Code: 005533

To submit your FAFSA go to 

If you have questions or need help, go to the One Stop, Room 1300, email or call 651.846.1555.

For more information about government grants go to:


Loans are financial aid that must be paid back. The student must complete on-line Entry Loan Counseling and be registered for 6 credits. Need based and non-need based loans are available.

For more information about student loans, go to

Veterans Benefits

To qualify for veterans benefits, you must apply and be accepted to the College. Your educational objective must be the same as that which you reported to the Veterans Administration.

You must contact the College’s VA Certifying Official under the following circumstances:

  • At your initial registration for courses
  • If you change your credit load (add/drop/withdraw)
  • If you change your major
  • If you change your address

Saint Paul College VA Certifying Official
Julie Severson
T – 651.403.4067
F – 651.846.1468

Friends of Saint Paul College Scholarships

The Friends of Saint Paul College Foundation makes scholarships available to students at Saint Paul College through generous donations from individuals, alumni, businesses, and foundations. Scholarships are available for fall, spring, and summer terms. By completing the online scholarship application form, you will automatically be matched to any scholarships for which you are eligible during the term in which you apply.

If you have questions, please contact the Friends of Saint Paul College foundation by email at or call 651.846.1741.


We’re here to help
bring clarity to financial aid.

What is FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA. This is the application for all types of financial aid: grants, loans, or college work-study.

More information about financial aid resources is available on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the cost of education?

The cost of education includes tuition, fees, a room and board allowance, books, supplies, a transportation allowance, and a personal expense allowance.

What is Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

An amount, determined by a formula called Federal Methodology, indicates how much of the student and his or her family’s resources should be available to help pay for school. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is used in determining the student’s eligibility for federal and state financial aid. If a student has unusual expenses that may affect his or her ability to pay for school, the student should notify the Financial Aid Director.

What is financial need?

Financial need is the difference between the cost of education and the expected family contribution calculated by the federal processing center.

What are the types of enrollment?

  • Full-Time Enrollment: 12 credits or more per semester.
  • Three-Quarter-Time Enrollment: 9-11 credits per semester.
  • Half-Time Enrollment: 6-8 credits per semester.
  • Less Than Half-Time Enrollment: 5 credits or fewer per semester.